Wheeler's Cav. at Decatur
July 22, 1864. Coincident with Hardee´s night march to attach Federal forces in E. Atlanta, Wheeler´s cavalry was sent to sieze McPherson´s wagon trains parked N. of the Decatur public square, guarded by Sprague´s 16th A.C. brigade & three sections
of field artillery.
Wheeler´s men, dismounted, were deployed S. of the R.R. & drove Sprague´s troops, together with the Chicago Board of Trade & Michigan batteries, to the public square where, outflanked, they withdrew with the wagon trains to the North Decatur Road.
Wheeler made no pursuit because of peremptory orders to rejoin Hardee in E. Atlanta.
||Georgia Historical Commission
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 33° 46.516 W 84° 17.7888.
To reach this monument:
The marker is at the old DeKalb Courthouse, 1 Old Courthouse, Decatur, GA.
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Atlanta Battlefield.
There are 12 monuments nearby.
During the Battle of Decatur
(a few steps from this marker) ; Sweeny's March South
(approx. 2.5 miles away) ; Bate's Battle Line
(approx. 2.6 miles away) ; Rice's Brigade
(approx. 2.7 miles away) ; Battle of Atlanta Began Here
(approx. 2.7 miles away) ; An Unexpected Clash
(approx. 2.8 miles away) ; Mersy's Brigade
(approx. 3 miles away) ; Death of General Walker
(approx. 3 miles away) ; Gen. Walker Monument
(approx. 3 miles away) ; Terry's Mill Pond
(approx. 3 miles away) ; Bate's Division at Terry's Mill Pond
(approx. 3 miles away) ; Walker's Division in Sugar Creek Valley
(approx. 3.1 miles away) ; Map all of the Monuments on the battlefield.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on September 23, 2020. This page has been viewed 15 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on September 23, 2020.
Photos: 1, 2 were submitted on 09/23/2020 by Byron Hooks.