Augustus Hurt House
200 yds. N.E. stood the plantation residence of Augustus F. Hurt (1830-1921), built 1858 and razed by Federal forces, 1864; erroneously cited in Official Records as the Howard house.
July 22, 1864. 4th & 23d A.C. troops, in line with Federal advances on Atlanta, occupied this hill, having marched via old Williams Mill Rd. Sherman, together with Howard & Schofield, maintained command posts here during the afternoon while McPherson´s Army
of the Tennessee fought defensively at & S. of the Ga. R.R. where two of Hood´s corps (CSA) attacked it. Here, McPherson´s body was brought from battlefield enroute to burial at Clyde, Ohio.
||Georgia Historic Commission
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 33° 46.007 W 84° 21.3486.
To reach this monument:
Carter Presidential Center parking lot, 441 John Lewis Freedom Pkwy NE, Atlanta, GA
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Atlanta Battlefield.
There are 15 monuments nearby.
The DeGress Battery
(approx. 0.5 miles away) ; Baker's Brigade
(approx. 0.6 miles away) ; Federal Signal Station
(approx. 0.6 miles away) ; Manigault's Brigade
(approx. 0.6 miles away) ; The Railroad Cut
(approx. 0.6 miles away) ; Site: The Pope House
(approx. 0.6 miles away) ; Restoring the Line
(approx. 0.7 miles away) ; Springvale Park
(approx. 0.7 miles away) ; Brig. Gen. A.M. Manigault's Brigade
(approx. 0.7 miles away) ; Brown's & Clayton's Divs.
(approx. 0.8 miles away) ; Noon Under the Trees
(approx. 0.9 miles away) ; Benton's & Coltart's Brigades
(approx. 0.9 miles away) ; Harrow's Div. 15th A.C.
(approx. 1 miles away) ; Sweeny's Division Encamped
(approx. 1 miles away) ; Attack from the West
(approx. 1.4 miles away) ; Map all of the Monuments on the battlefield.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on August 29, 2020. This page has been viewed 27 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 1 time(s) since then.
The page was last updated by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on August 29, 2020.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on August 29, 2020.
Photos: 1 was submitted on 08/29/2020 by Byron Hooks.