Site: Cobb's Mill
On the E. side of Intrenchment Creek, just above the bridge, stood a grist mill operated by William Cobb, a DeKalb County pioneer. The mill was a notable landmark in the movement of Confederate forces to the field of the Battle of Atlanta, fought July 22, 1864.
Hardee´s Corps, (CSA) consisting of 4 divs., made a 15-mi. night march from Atlanta, via McDonough & Fayetteville roads, to gain the rear of McPherson´s Army of the Tenn. in E. Atlanta. Hardee´s troops reached Cobb´s Mill at dawn, where a halt was made to procure
Wheeler´s Cav. (CSA) rode with the column, enroute to Decatur to seize McPherson´s wagon trains.
||Georgia Historical Commission
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 33° 42.094 W 84° 19.9386.
To reach this monument:
1510 Key Rd, Atlanta, GA, at Entrenchment Creek Water Plant
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Atlanta Battlefield.
There are 11 monuments nearby.
Hardee at Wm. Cobb's House
(a few steps from this marker) ; Hardee at Road Fork
(approx. 1.2 miles away) ; Walker & Bate at Sugar Cr.
(approx. 2 miles away) ; Cleburne's & Maney's Divs.
(approx. 2.3 miles away) ; Maney's Div. in the Battle of Atlanta
(approx. 2.6 miles away) ; Terry's Mill Pond
(approx. 2.7 miles away) ; Bate's Division at Terry's Mill Pond
(approx. 2.7 miles away) ; Walker's Division in Sugar Creek Valley
(approx. 2.7 miles away) ; Gen. Walker Monument
(approx. 2.7 miles away) ; Death of General Walker
(approx. 2.7 miles away) ; Cleburne Outflanked Left Wing, 17th A.C.
(approx. 2.8 miles away) ; Map all of the Monuments on the battlefield.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on August 29, 2020. This page has been viewed 80 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on August 29, 2020.
Photos: 1 was submitted on 08/29/2020 by Byron Hooks.