Monument

Brown's & Clayton's Divs.

Battle of Atlanta



Brown's & Clayton's Divs., click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on
1. Brown's & Clayton's Divs.
 

Inscription:
Brown's & Clayton's Divs.


July 22, 1864: 3:30 P.M. Gen. Hood (Confed.) launched an attack from the east line of the city fortifications, on the 15th A.C. astride the Ga. R.R. (at DeGress Ave.) -- a mass assault by two divs. of Cheatham´s A.C.: Brown´s & Clayton´s. Brown´s brigades were: Manigault´s, Sharp´s, Coltart´s & Benton´s; Clayton´s brigades were: Stovall´s, Baker´s, Gibson´s & Holtzclaw´s.

The impact of these eight small brigades dislodged four Federal brigades from their intrenched line at and each side of the R.R. -- where the spear-head of the attack was aimed. This, the critical moment of the battle is pictured in the Cyclorama at Grant Park.

060-100B Georgia Historical Commission 1956






Distinguishing numbers/markings on the plaque:
GHM 060-100B


Location of the monument:
This monument is visible from the road. It is located at N 33° 45.335  W 84° 21.5598. Map it


To reach this monument:
Marker is at the intersection of Delta Place and Edgewood Avenue, Atlanta, GA.



Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Atlanta Battlefield.

There are 15 monuments nearby.

Brig. Gen. A.M. Manigault's Brigade (approx. 0.1 miles away) ; Springvale Park (approx. 0.1 miles away) ; Baker's Brigade (approx. 0.2 miles away) ; Site: The Pope House (approx. 0.4 miles away) ; The Railroad Cut (approx. 0.5 miles away) ; Benton's & Coltart's Brigades (approx. 0.5 miles away) ; Manigault's Brigade (approx. 0.5 miles away) ; The DeGress Battery (approx. 0.5 miles away) ; Harrow's Div. 15th A.C. (approx. 0.5 miles away) ; Federal Signal Station (approx. 0.6 miles away) ; Attack from the West (approx. 0.7 miles away) ; Augustus Hurt House (approx. 0.8 miles away) ; Restoring the Line (approx. 0.8 miles away) ; Where Hood Watched the Battle of Atlanta (approx. 0.9 miles away) ; Leggett's Hill (approx. 0.9 miles away) ; Map all of the Monuments on the battlefield.







Comments about this monument:
The Cyclorama has been moved. It is now located at the Atlanta History Center, 130 West Paces Ferry Rd NW, Atlanta, GA 30305




Classification:
Allegiance: Confederate
Type: Tablet (plaque)
Level: Division
Military Arm: Combined Arms


Credits:

This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on August 29, 2020. This page has been viewed 29 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then. BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on August 29, 2020. Photos: 1 was submitted on 08/29/2020 by Byron Hooks.


Resources