Davis' Division - McCook's Corps.
Colonel Hans C. Heg.
Colonel John A. Martin.
September 19, 1863. 2 p.m. 1st Position
||Major Samuel D. Wall.
Captain Wesford Taggart.
||Lieutenant Colonel William P. Chandler.
||Colonel John A. Martin.
Lieutenant Colonel James L. Abernathy.
||Lieutenant Colonel Ole C. Johnson.
|8th Wisconsin Battery
||Lieutenant John D. McLean.
This Brigade, being left of Davis' Division, reached this line about 1 p.m., and formed on the right of Wilder's Brigade of mounted Infantry, having Carlin's Brigade on its right. The line advanced across the LaFayette Road and became desperately engaged about
2 o'clock. After three quarters of an hour the Brigade was forced back to the road. It rallied and nearly regained its most advanced position when it was again repulsed. In rallying the line in the low ground west to the road Colonel Heg was mortally wounded.
At 3:30 p.m. Wood's Division arrived from Lee and Gordon's Mill and relieved Davis' line, when Heg's Brigade, now commanded by Colonel Martin, again advanced but was not further engaged during the 19th.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 54.270 W 85° 15.673.
Parking is available on LaFayette Road
N 34° 54.2676 W 85° 15.6875
To reach this monument:
Parking is available on the west side of Lafayette road, Tour Stop 5, there is a cross walk here. Parking is also available on Viniard Road.
Marker is on LaFayette Road north of Viniard Road, on the right when traveling north. This tablet is located in the national park that preserves the site of the Chickamauga Battlefield, and is one of a number of monuments, markers, and tablets that are situated in the area near the log school house.
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
Approximately 700 metal position and descriptive markers with raised lettering were installed on the Chickamauga Battlefield by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is red indicating it is for a Confederate unit. This plaque is blue indicating it is for a Federal unit. Plaques are listed in the NPS List of Classified Structures as a batch input, Structure Number HS-Batch-3.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on February 01, 2019. This page has been viewed 285 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on February 09, 2019.
Photos: 1, 2, 3 were submitted on 02/01/2019 by Byron Hooks.