No. 25 U
Wood's Division - Crittenden's Corps
Brigadier General Thomas J. Wood.
Sept. 20th, 1863, 9:30 A.M.
|1st Brigade - Colonel George P. Buell.
|2d Brigade - Brigadier General George D. Wagner.
|3d Brigade - Colonel Charles G. Harker.
General Wood, with Buell's and Harker's Brigades - Wagner's being at Chattanooga - arrived at Viniard's at 3:30 p.m. Harker charged up the LaFayette road beyond Davis' left, and sent two of his regiments, the 64th and the 125th Ohio, into action in the woods
east of the road, while he proceeded farther north with his other two regiments, the 65th Ohio and 3d Kentucky, and fell upon the rear of Fulton's Brigade of Bushrod Johnson's Division, which had crossed to the west side of the LaFayette Road south of Brotherton's
and was engaging Van Cleve, and forced it back east of the road. Buell's Brigade was first formed behind Heg's Brigade of Davis' men at this point, and was carried away with them, but later, with Bradley's Brigade of Sheridan's Division on its right east of
the road, and, after having been twice forced back, with the assistance of Wilder's Brigade and a number of batteries west of the road, the enemy was driven into the woods east of Viniard's at sunset. Harken rejoined the Division near this place at dark.
[UL] No. 25 [UR] U
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 54.263 W 85° 15.678.
Parking is available on LaFayette Road
N 34° 54.2676 W 85° 15.6875
To reach this monument:
Parking is available on the west side of Lafayette road, Tour Stop 5, there is a cross walk here. Parking is also available on Viniard Road.
Marker is on LaFayette Road north of Viniard Road, on the right when traveling north. This tablet is located in the national park that preserves the site of the Chickamauga Battlefield, and is one of a number of monuments, markers, and tablets that are situated in the area near the log school house.
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
Approximately 700 metal position and descriptive markers with raised lettering were installed on the Chickamauga Battlefield by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is red indicating it is for a Confederate unit. This plaque is blue indicating it is for a Federal unit. Plaques are listed in the NPS List of Classified Structures as a batch input, Structure Number HS-Batch-3.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on January 31, 2019. This page has been viewed 175 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on January 31, 2019.
Photos: 1, 2, 3 were submitted on 01/31/2019 by Byron Hooks.