Hood's Division - Longstreet's Corps.
Brigadier General E. McIver Law.
September 19, 1863.
||Colonel James L. Sheffield.
||Brigadier General J.B. Robertson.
||Brigadier General H.L. Benning.
Line of battle was formed on this ground at 7 a.m. At 3 p.m. the Division advanced with Robertson's Brigade on the left, and Law's Brigade on the right, to meet the Union attack from the direction of Viniard's. Bushrod R. Johnson's Division having gained ground
toward Brotherton's during the progress of the engagement. Robertson's and Benning's Brigades replaced it, and, with Trigg's Brigade of Preston's Division, finally drove Davis' Union Division beyond the LaFayette road at Viniard's, but, were subsequently forced
back into the forest east of Viniard's by re-enforcements from Wood's and Sheridan's Divisions coming from Lee and Gordon's Mill, assisted by Wilder's Brigade of mounted infantry.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 54.147 W 85° 15.038.
Parking is available on Viniard Road
To reach this monument:
Marker is on Viniard Road east of LaFayette Road, on the left when traveling east. This tablet is located several feet from the north side of the roadway.
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
The plaques on the Chickamauga Battlefield were installed by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is red indicating it is for a Confederate unit. Plaques are listed in the NPS List of Classified Structures as a batch input, Structure Number HS-Batch-3.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on October 24, 2018. This page has been viewed 46 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on October 24, 2018.
Photos: 1, 2 were submitted on 10/24/2018 by Byron Hooks.