Monument

Rosecrans' Headquarters Shell Monument

Sept. 20, 1863 10 am -11:15 am

Battle of Chickamauga



Rosecrans' Headquarters Shell Monument, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/05/19 11:32:48
1. Rosecrans' Headquarters Shell Monument
 

Inscription:
Field Headquarters.
Army of the Cumberland.
Major General W.S. Rosecrans.
September 20, 1863, 10 A.M., to 11:15 A.M.



Rosecrans' Headquarters Shell Monument, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/05/19 11:32:36
2. Rosecrans' Headquarters Shell Monument
 


This monument markers the location of a headquarters.


Location of the monument:
This monument is visible from the road. It is located at N 34° 54.947  W 85° 16.314. Map it

Parking is available on Chickamauga-Vittatoe Road near  N 34° 55.0299  W 85° 16.4435 .
Paved lot on the west side of Chickamauga-Vittatoe Road.


To reach this monument:
Marker is on Dyer Road east of Chickamauga-Vittatoe Road, on the right when traveling east. This marker is located in the national park that preserves the site of the Chickamauga Battlefield, along a park walking trail, at the western end of the South Dyer Field.



Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.

There are 15 monuments nearby.

15th Pennsylvania Cavalry Regiment Monument (MT-1046) (a few steps from this marker) ; Harker's Brigade Tablet (MT-593) (about 475 feet away) ; Buell's Brigade tablet (MT-559) (about 521 feet away) ; Dyer Cemetery (approx. 0.1 miles away) ; Barnes’ Brigade Tablet (MT-542) (approx. 0.1 miles away) ; 35th Indiana Infantry Regiment Marker (MT-798) (approx. 0.2 miles away) ; 7th Indiana Battery Marker (MT-742) (approx. 0.2 miles away) ; Longstreet's Headquarters Shell Monument (MT-450) (approx. 0.2 miles away) ; Dyer House (MT-423T) (approx. 0.2 miles away) ; Hospital, 1st Division, 14th Corps Tablet (MT-449) (approx. 0.2 miles away) ; Dent's Alabama Battery Tablet (MT-1240) (approx. 0.2 miles away) ; S. Beatty's Brigade Tablet (MT-551) (approx. 0.3 miles away) ; Van Cleve's Division Tablet (MT-533) (approx. 0.3 miles away) ; 1st Ohio Light Artillery, Battery G, Tablet (MT-929) (approx. 0.3 miles away) ; 1st Ohio Light Artillery, Battery G, Monument (MT-930) (approx. 0.3 miles away) ; Map all of the Monuments on the battlefield.






NPS/SIRIS Data:
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure MT-451.



Comments about this monument:
This is a standard shell monument indicating the location of an Army Level Headquarters. The monument was designed by E. E. Betts and constructed between 1893 and 1895. This shell monument is 7'10" square at base and 5' high, the monument consists of a pyramid of cannonballs set in cement & painted black, resting on a molded limestone base. Attached to base is a painted, blue (union), metal plaque identifying the HQ site .The square base is made up of artillery shells: 7 wide by 7 deep. It is 7 layers tall.


Rosecrans' Headquarters Shell Monument, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/05/19 11:32:53
3. Rosecrans' Headquarters Shell Monument
 
Rosecrans' Headquarters Shell Monument, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/05/19 11:30:05
4. Rosecrans' Headquarters Shell Monument
View, looking south, of the 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry and the Rosecrans' Headquarters shell monument. 



Classification:
Allegiance: Union
Type: Monument
Level: Headquarters
Military Arm: None Selected


Credits:

This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on October 19, 2018. This page has been viewed 66 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then. BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on October 19, 2018. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4 were submitted on 10/19/2018 by Byron Hooks.


Resources