Johnson's Division, - Longstreet's Corps.
Brigadier General Evander McNair
Colonel David Coleman.
September 20, 1863, 2 p.m.
|1st Arkansas Rifles, Dismounted. - Lieut. Col. D. H. Reynolds.
|2d Arkansas Rifles, Dismounted. - Col. J. A. Williamson.
|25th Arkansas, - Lieut. Col. Eli Hufstedler.
|4th and 31st Arkansas, and 4th Arkansas Battalion, (Consolidated), - Maj. J. A. Ross.
|39th North Carolina, - Col. David Coleman.
|Culpeper's South Carolina Battery, - Capt. J. F. Culpeper.
Upon reaching the Dyer field in its advance from Brotherton's McNair's Brigade charged upon the batteries diagonally on the right and participated with Gregg's in the capture of 15 pieces of the Union artillery assembled on the high ground on the western edge
of the field. Being then in advance of the line it fell back to the woods and formed on the left of Robertson's Brigade of Hood's Division and at 2:30 p.m. again advanced.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 55.393 W 85° 16.523.
Parking is available on Chickamauga-Vittatoe Road
To reach this monument:
. Marker is on Chickamauga-Vittatoe Road south of Lytle Road, on the left when traveling south.
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
The plaques on the Chickamauga Battlefield were installed by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is red indicating it is for a Confederate unit. Plaques are listed in the NPS List of Classified Structures as a batch input, Structure Number HS-Batch-3.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on September 27, 2018. This page has been viewed 71 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on September 28, 2018.
Photos: 1, 2 were submitted on 09/27/2018 by Byron Hooks.