7th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery
Four 10 Pounder Parrots, Two Napoleons.
Dick's Brigade, Van Cleve's Division, Crittenden's Corps.
September 19, 1863.
|Captain George R. Swallow, Commanding.
|1st Lieutenant Otho H. Morgan.
|1st Lieutenant John C. Fislar.
|2nd Lieutenant George M. Repp.
|2nd Lieutenant Columbus S. Pound.
One section was detached for duty with Barne's Brigade, and in the afternoon became engaged with the Confederates near Viniard's. The remaining four guns were ordered to the left with Dick's Brigade about 1 p.m., and took position several times east of the
Chattanooga Road, but could do no firing, and seeing part of the infantry line falling back, the guns changed position and came into battery on this ridge; had been in position but a short time when the infantry fell back to and across the road. The guns then
opened upon the Confederates a rapid fire with canister and kept it up till two regiments fell back through the battery; part of the 13th Ohio then rallied on the right and rear, but their Lieutenant Colonel being killed they too retreated , and the battery
withdrew to the rear and soon after bivouacked for the night.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 54.909 W 85° 15.780.
Parking is available on LaFayette Road
N 34° 55.0796 W 85° 15.6428
To reach this monument:
Marker is on Lafayette Road south of Dyer Road, on the right when traveling south. This marker is located in the national park that preserves the site of the Chickamauga Battlefield, along the park's main roadway, in a field south of the Brotherton Cabin, a short distance west of the LaFayette Road, along the ridge of the farm field.
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
Other monuments to the 7th Indiana Artillery Company/Battery on the battlefield
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
The condition of the monument was first reported on 5/4/2011.
The table has been cracked and then repaired.
The plaques on the Chickamauga Battlefield were installed by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is blue indicating it is for a Federal unit. Plaques are listed in the NPS List of Classified Structures as a batch input, Structure Number HS-Batch-3.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on September 05, 2018. This page has been viewed 54 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on September 05, 2018.
Photos: 1, 2, 3 were submitted on 09/05/2018 by Byron Hooks.