Preston's Division, - Buckner's Corps.
Colonel Robert C. Trigg.
September 20, 1863, 5 P.M.
|1st Florida Cavalry, Dismounted,
||Colonel G. T. Maxwell.
||Colonel J. J. Finley.
||Colonel Robert Bullock.
||Lieutenant Colonel John J. Wade.
|Peeples' Georgia Battery,
||Captain Tyler M. Peeples.
On arriving at Snodgrass Hill from Brotherton's between five and six o'clock p.m. Trigg sent the 1st Florida to support Gracie and formed the rest of his Brigade on the left of Kelly and advanced toward the crest. That portion of Steedman's Division which had
occupied the summit in Trigg's front had just withdrawn and Trigg's line passed beyond the crest and turning to its right moved into the rear of three Union regiments which had operated on the left of Whitaker's Brigade of Steedman's Division but had not received
notice to withdraw. Trigg in co-operation with Kelly advancing against the Union front captured the greater part of these regiments. Strength in action at the opening of the battle 1536 officers and men. Casualties Killed 46 wounded 231 missing 5 total 282
Percentage of loss 18.36
This monument is Not
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 55.5224 W 85° 16.3158.
Parking is available on Glen-Kelly / Vittetoe Chickamauga Road
N 34° 55.5011 W 85° 15.8769
To reach this monument:
Alternately, you can park at the intersection of Vittetoe road and Vittetoe-Chickamauga roads (N 34 55.394 W 85 16.518) and follow the old Vittetoe Road (un-paved, vehicles not allowed) to the marker.
The Trigg's Brigade tablte is located in the northwest section of the Chickamauga National Military Park in a wooded area past the North West corner of Dyer Field along the old Vittetoe Road. Parking is available on the west side of Glenn-Kelly Road. From the parking area, walk up the hill towards the South Carolina State Monument, a trail will lead north from the South Carolina State Monument to Snodgrass Hill. Follow this path. This tablet is located along the old Vittetoe Road (un-paved, vehicles not allowed)
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
The plaques on the Chickamauga Battlefield were installed by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is red indicating it is for a Confederate unit. Plaques are listed in the NPS List of Classified Structures as a batch input, Structure Number HS-Batch-3.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on August 22, 2018. This page has been viewed 44 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 1 time(s) since then.
The page was last updated by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on August 23, 2018.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on August 22, 2018.
Photos: 1, 2, 3 were submitted on 08/22/2018 by Byron Hooks.