18th Battery, Ohio Light Artillery
6 3" Rifles.
Whitaker's Brigade, Steedman's Division, Granger's Corps.
September 20, 1863.
Capt. Charles C. Aleshire, Commanding.
|1st Lieut. Albert S. Bierce.
|2d Lieut. Casey Roseburgh (wounded).
|2d Lieut. James W, Chesnut (wounded).
About noon the Battery followed its Brigade from McAfee's Church across country to Cloud's, thence south along the LaFayette road to McDonald's and thence straight to the vicinity of the Snodgrass house, where it arrived at about 2 P.M. It was placed in position
on this ground by order of Gen. Thomas, and so remained until sunset actively engaged most of the time in repulsing repeated assaults of the enemy upon this part of the Union line. About 7 P.M. the Battery withdrew with the infantry to Rossville where it bivouacked.
Casualties: 2 officers and 8 enlisted men wounded.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 55.8016 W 85° 15.9953.
Parking is available on Vittetoe Rd
N 34° 55.758 W 85° 16.074
To reach this monument:
To view this historical marker drive to the parking area in front of the Snodgrass House (tour stop 8) and the marker can be seen situated just to the east of the Snodgrass House.
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
Other monuments to the 18th Ohio Artillery Company/Battery on the battlefield
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
The plaques on the Chickamauga Battlefield were installed by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is blue indicating it is for a Federal unit. Plaques are listed in the NPS List of Classified Structures as a batch input, Structure Number HS-Batch-3.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on July 01, 2018. This page has been viewed 49 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on July 01, 2018.
Photos: 1, 2, 3 were submitted on 07/01/2018 by Byron Hooks.