Van Cleve's Division, - Crittenden's Corps.
Col. George F. Dick.
Sept. 20, 1863, Afternoon.
||Lieut. Col. Simeon C. Aldrich.
||Maj. Jacob C. Dick.
||Capt. Horatio G. Cosgrove.
Soon after noon the 44th Indiana about 40 men under command of Lieut. Col. Aldrich, and a part of the 86th Indiana took position at this point. A part of the 13th Ohio about 100 men with its colors under command of Captain Cosgrove took position on Brannan's
line on the crest of the hill to the right southwest of the Snodgrass house. The various positions were maintained until the withdrawal about 7 P.M.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 55.7906 W 85° 16.009.
Parking is available on Vittetoe Rd
N 34° 55.758 W 85° 16.074
To reach this monument:
To view this historical marker drive to the parking area in front of the Snodgrass House (tour stop 8) and the marker can be seen situated just to the east of the Snodgrass House.
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
The plaques on the Chickamauga Battlefield were installed by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is blue indicating it is for a Federal unit.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on June 22, 2018. This page has been viewed 105 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on June 25, 2018.
Photos: 1, 2, 3 were submitted on 06/22/2018 by Byron Hooks.