Wood's Division, - Crittenden's Corps.
Brig. Gen. Thomas J. Wood
Sept. 20, 1863, Afternoon.
||Col. George P. Buell.
||Col. Charles G. Harker.
After the penetration of the Union line west of Brotherton's soon after 11 A.M. by Longstreet's central column of attack, Harker's brigade which had passed north of the point pierced, moved promptly into the Dyer field facing south, attacked the head of Longstreet's
column with great vigor, which gave Brannan time to rally his command on Snodgrass Hill where Harker soon joined him, occupying this position on the left of Brannan, and held this line until night. Colonel Buell rallied the 58th Indiana of his brigade on Snodgrass
Hill, where General Wood in person established his headquarters and co-operated with General Brannan in the defense of the position. The losses of the division (two brigades Wagner's brigade garrisoning Chattanooga) for the two days was: killed 132; wounded
744; missing 194; total 1,070.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 55.7712 W 85° 16.0643.
Parking is available on Viniard Road
N 34° 55.758 W 85° 16.074
To reach this monument:
To view this historical marker drive to the parking area in front of the Snodgrass House and the marker can be seen situated in the field just to the northeast of the Snodgrass House.
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
The plaques on the Chickamauga Battlefield were installed by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is blue indicating it is for a Federal unit.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on June 16, 2018. This page has been viewed 107 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on June 16, 2018.
Photos: 1, 2, 3 were submitted on 06/16/2018 by Byron Hooks.