Battery I, 4th U.S. Artillery.
4 Light 12 Pdrs.
Van Derver's Brigade, Brannan's Division, Thomas' Corps.
Sept. 20, 1863.
|1st Lieut. Frank G. Smith, Commanding.
|1st Lieut. George B. Rodney.
|2nd Lieut. John M. Stephenson.
At 8 A.M. the Battery was posted with the Brigade as a reserve in rear of the 1st and 2d Brigades of the Division in the edge of the woods east of the Dyer field west of Poe's house. Between 9 and 10 A.M. it joined Gen. Negley, by order, and accompanied his
command to the Snodgrass house, where, about 10:30 A.M., by its fire it participated in frustrating an attempt of the enemy, moving in McDonald's field, to turn Baird's left. The enemy having pierced the Union line to the southeast before noon, immediately
began swarming to attack the Union position on Snodgrass Hill from that direction.
About noon Gen. Negley withdrew, leaving Gen. Brannan to defend this line with one regiment of infantry, this Battery, and such troops as had been rallied here after the break in the front line. Gen. Granger's command and VanDerveer's Brigade arrived almost
simultaneously about 2 P.M. to the support of this force just in time to prevent its being driven from the hill.
The fighting was almost constant from noon until sunset, when the Battery, its ammunition nearly exhausted, withdrew under orders to Rossville.
Casualties of the day: 1 man killed, 9 wounded, and 3 horses disabled.
Total casualties: 1 officer wounded, 1 man killed, 20 men wounded, 1 limber blown up, 19 horses disabled.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 55.7566 W 85° 16.0763.
Parking is available on Viniard Road
N 34° 55.758 W 85° 16.074
To reach this monument:
To view this historical marker drive to the parking area in front of the Snodgrass House and the marker can be seen situated just to the east of the Snodgrass House.
At tour stop 8 on Snodgrass Hill.
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
Other monuments to the 4th USA Artillery Company/Battery on the battlefield
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
The plaques on the Chickamauga Battlefield were installed by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is blue indicating it is for a Federal unit.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on June 16, 2018. This page has been viewed 88 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on June 16, 2018.
Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4 were submitted on 06/16/2018 by Byron Hooks.