Indiana’s Tribute to her Fourth Regiment Cavalry Lieutenant Colonel John T. Deweese, Commanding. 2nd Brigade – (Ray) 1st Division – (E. M. McCook)
Calvary Corps (Mitchell)
On the 19th of September, 1863, this Regiment when guarding the supply trains about one mile from Stevens’ Gap, had a spirited skirmish with the enemy's Calvary, repulsing it and bringing the train through.
On Sunday morning, the 20th, the Regiment with its brigade was in line of battle near Crawfish Springs, and skirmish with the enemy until 4 P.M., when it was ordered to fall back by the Dry-Valley Road.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 54.4224 W 85° 16.3812.
Parking is available on Vittetoe-Chickamauga Road
N 34° 54.4252 W 85° 16.3442
To reach this monument:
Parking is available at Wilder’s Tower on Vittetoe-Chickamauga Road. From there walk to the monument. Addition parking is available in a second lot off of Glenn-Viniard Road.
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
The monument was constructed in 1898. It is 7' x 7' x 11', the monument has three-step, rock-faced base with inscription on top step. Tapered shaft is rock faced and incorporates bronze state seal. Cornice and rounded capstone, with stone eagle on top.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on August 13, 2014. This page has been viewed 160 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 1 time(s) since then.
The page was last updated by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on August 28, 2017.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on August 13, 2014.
Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4 were submitted on 08/13/2014 by Byron Hooks.