3rd Brigade, 2nd Division,
20th Army Corps.
Johnson’s division, during the battle on the 19th and 20th days of Sept. 1863, constituted part of the command of General George H Thomas. This Regiment, Col. Hiram Strong commanding, became engaged after 12 M, Sept. 19th, about ½ mile west of this position.
Arrived here about 3 P.M. After a contest, first with Jackson’s, and then with Maney’s Brigades of Cheatham’s Division. Joined here in the resistance to the attack of Cleburne’s Division from 6:30 to 7:30 PM. For the position occupied by the Regiment on the
20th from daylight until ordered to retire in the evening, see tablet erected about 1260 yards west of this monument. The Regiment lost in the battle 100 men, in killed, wounded and missing, being 33 per cent of its aggregate strength Col. Hiram Strong of
Dayton Ohio, its gallant commander was mortally wounded on Saturday the 19th.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 55.582 W 85° 14.4338.
Parking is available on Brotherton Road
N 34° 55.4905 W 85° 14.4854
To reach this monument:
This monument is located on the north side of Winfrey Filed near the tree line.
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
This monument was built in 1894; the architect was the Smith Granite Co. of Westerly, RI. The monument is a 15'8" tall obelisk on 6' square smooth-faced base. Sloped pedestal supports smooth-faced shaft with narrow rock-faced bands. Raised lettering on pedestal, and bronze tablet and state seal on shaft.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on August 17, 2017. This page has been viewed 53 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on August 17, 2017.
Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4 were submitted on 08/17/2017 by Byron Hooks.