Baird’s Division – Thomas’ Corps.
Brig. Gen. John C. Starkweather.
Sept. 19th, 1863, 4:30 P. M. 3rd Position.
||Col. Geza Mihalotzy.
||Capt. August Mauff.
||Col. Henry A. Hambright.
||Lieut. Col. George B. Bingham.
||Lieut. Col. Harrison C. Hobart.
||Capt. Charles H. Walker.
|4th Indiana Battery
||Lieut. Henry J. Willits.
Upon arriving from the glade north of the Kelly Field on the ground to the rear of the left of Johnson’s Division, and while Starkweather's Brigade was preparing in the dusk to form on Johnson’s left, Johnson was attacked in heavy force. In the gloom Starkweather
made a half wheeled to the left to unmask Johnson’s line, and at the same time Scribners Brigade wheeled slightly toward the right causing these brigades to fire into each other, while the left of Johnson’s Division faced about and fired into both adding greatly
to the confusion of the night engagement. At the end of an hour the firing decreased and soon ended. The Union line then withdrew to the Kelly Field.
This monument is Not
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 55.6124 W 85° 14.5169.
Parking is available on Brotherton Road
N 34° 55.4905 W 85° 14.4854
To reach this monument:
The marker is on the north side of Brotherton Road, near Winfrey Field, on a wooded path. From the 1st Ohio Infantry Regiment Monument. Pass the Philemon P. Baldwin Memorial Shell Monument. A path will lead off to the east (right), follow this path until you find the plaque.
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
The plaques on the Chickamauga Battlefield were installed by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is blue indicating it is for a Federal unit. Plaques are listed in the NPS List of Classified Structures as a batch input, Structure Number HS-Batch-3.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on August 16, 2017. This page has been viewed 13 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on August 16, 2017.
Photos: 1, 2, 3 were submitted on 08/16/2017 by Byron Hooks.