Monument

18th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery Tablet

Battle of Chickamauga



18th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery Plaque, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/03/02 16:06:45
1. 18th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery Plaque
 

Inscription:
18th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery.
6 3” Rifles, 4 Mountain Howitzers.
Wilder’s Brigade, Reynolds’ Division, Thomas’ Corps.
September 20, 1863.

Capt. Eli Lilly, Commanding.
1st Lieut. Joseph A. Scott.
2d Lieut. Moses M. Beck.
2d Lieut. William B. Rippetoe.


In the forenoon, the battery took position on the ridge west of Crawfish Springs Road, southwest of this position. About 11:30 A. M., troops on the left were falting in front of the advancing enemy, and the brigade went to their support, moving at the double-quick. The battery moved a few hundred yards to the left of the former position and opened very rapidly, shelling a field, beyond a narrow strip of timber, through which the enemy was moving. The brigade soon cleared the woods and one section was moved to this position and opened with canister on the retreating enemy till out of range. Soon after noon, the battery moved to its former position and soon after to Chattanooga Valley, five miles from Chattanooga. Casualties of the battle; 2 men killed and 8 wounded; 6 horses killed, 1 wounded. Ammunition expended 778 rounds.




18th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery Plaque, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/03/02 16:06:38
2. 18th Battery, Indiana Light Artillery Plaque
 


Classification
Allegiance: Union
Type: Tablet (plaque)
Level: Company/Battery
Military Arm: Artillery



Distinguishing numbers/markings on the plaque:
(UR) U


Location of the monument:
This monument is visible from the road. It is located at N 34° 54.4418  W 85° 16.3262. Map it

Parking is available on Vittetoe-Chickamauga Road near  N 34° 54.4252  W 85° 16.3442 .


To reach this monument:
Parking is available at Wilder’s Tower on Vittetoe-Chickamauga Road. The plaque is just north of the tower. Addition parking is available in a second lot off of Glenn-Viniard Road.



Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.




Other monuments to the 18th Indiana Artillery Company/Battery on the battlefield





NPS/SIRIS Data:
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure MT-751.



Comments about this monument:
The plaques on the Chickamauga Battlefield were installed by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is blue indicating it is for a Federal unit. Plaques are listed in the NPS List of Classified Structures as a batch input, Structure Number HS-Batch-3.



Credits:

This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on August 15, 2014. This page has been viewed 50 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 1 time(s) since then. The page was last updated by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on August 15, 2017. BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on August 15, 2014. Photos: 1, 2 were submitted on 08/15/2014 by Byron Hooks.


Resources