Monument

Wood's Division Tablet

Sept 11 - 19, 1863

Battle of Chickamauga



Wood's Division Plaque, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2009/08/05 13:41:40
1. Wood's Division Plaque
 

Inscription:
No. 20.
U. S.
Wood's Division - Crittenden's Corps.
Brigadier General Thomas J. Wood.

September 11th, until 3 P.M. September 19th, 1863

1st Brigade - Colonel George P. Buell.
2d Brigade - Brigadier General George D. Wagner.
3d Brigade - Colonel Charles G. Harker.

This division, leaving Wagner's Brigade at Chattanooga, moved from the latter point at 10 o'clock, September 10th, and camped at Ringgold Bridge on the Chickamauga. At daybreak of the 11th Harker's Brigade moved back to Rossville Gap and thence by the LaFayette Road to this position, reaching it at 4:30 P.M. having skirmished from the vicinity of the Cloud House with Forrest's Cavalry, which constituted the enemy's rear guard. General Wood arrived from Ringgold Bridge at 8:30 P.M. with Buell's Brigade via Reed's Bridge. At 1 P.M. of the 18th a brigade of the enemy attempted to cross the river at the ford near the mill, but was repulsed. At 3:00 P.M. of the 19th the division was ordered to move rapidly to the left by the LaFayette Road. Buell's Brigade went into action about 3:30 near Viniard's, and Harker's about the same hour further to north.



Lee and Gordon’s Mill, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2009/08/05 13:53:56
2. Lee and Gordon’s Mill
 



Distinguishing numbers/markings on the plaque:
[UL] No. 20. [UR] U. S.


Location of the monument:
This monument is Not visible from the road. It is located at N 34° 53.0194  W 85° 16.090. Map it

Parking is available on Lee-Gordon Mill Circle near  N 34° 53.0017  W 85° 16.1046 .
Residential street.



Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.

There are 15 monuments nearby.

Crittenden's Headquarters Shell Monument (MT-469) (Is only 37 feet away) ; 36th Illinois Infantry Regiment Marker (MT-683) (Is only 67 feet away) ; 3rd Georgia Cavalry Marker (MT-1281) (about 109 feet away) ; 88th Illinois Infantry Regiment Marker (MT-708) (about 157 feet away) ; Lytle's Brigade Plaque (MT-615) (about 157 feet away) ; 4th Georgia Cavalry Marker (MT-1283) (about 254 feet away) ; 2nd Georgia Cavalry Marker (MT-1278) (about 278 feet away) ; Buell's Brigade tablet (MT-557) (about 357 feet away) ; Twenty-First Army Corps Plaque (MT-470) (about 390 feet away) ; Harker's Brigade Tablet (MT-591) (about 390 feet away) ; Thomas’ Corps sign (MT-423W) (approx. 0.9 miles away) ; Hall's House (MT-1448) (approx. 1.2 miles away) ; 59th Illinois Infantry Monument (MT-692) (approx. 1.3 miles away) ; Post's Brigade Tablet (MT-623) (approx. 1.3 miles away) ; 74th Illinois Infantry Monument (MT-695) (approx. 1.3 miles away) ; Map all of the Monuments on the battlefield.






NPS/SIRIS Data:
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure MT-534.



Comments about this monument:
The plaques on the Chickamauga Battlefield were installed by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is blue indicating it is for a Federal unit. Plaques are listed in the NPS List of Classified Structures as a batch input, Structure Number HS-Batch-3.




Classification:
Allegiance: Union
Type: Tablet (plaque)
Level: Division
Military Arm: Combined Arms


Credits:

This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on May 21, 2017. This page has been viewed 209 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 1 time(s) since then. The page was last updated by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on August 12, 2017. BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on May 21, 2017. Photos: 1, 2 were submitted on 05/21/2017 by Byron Hooks.


Resources