Reynold's Division - Thomas' Corps.
Major General Joseph J. Reynolds
September 20th, 1863, until 5:30 P.M.
1st Brigade - Colonel John T. Wilder. (Mounted Infantry Detached.)
2d Brigade - Colonel Edward A. King, Colonel Milton S. Robinson.
3d Brigade - Brigadier General John B. Turchin.
This Division, early in the morning of the 20th of September, formed on the right of Palmer's Division, prolonging the Union line to and beyond the LaFayette Road south of Kelly's. Turchin's Brigade formed the left of the Division and Edward King's, posted
west of the road, formed its right. These Brigades were in two lines and their fronts were protected by slight breastworks of rails, logs, and stones, hastily constructed.
Soon after 10 o'clock Stewart's Division of three Brigades attacked upon Brannan's and Reynolds' fronts with great vigor, but were repulsed after severe fighting at close range with great loss, and were reformed upon the ground from which they first advanced.
At 11 A.M. Longstreet's columns of three Divisions pierced the Union line at the Brotherton House where a gap had been left by the withdrawal of Wood's Division, and after stubborn fighting Brannan was forced away from Reynold's right and retired to Snodgrass
Hill. Reynolds then refused King's Brigade on his right. His line was not again attacked by infantry. After 5:30 P.M. under orders from General Thomas, the Division was withdrawn without molestation by column of Brigades moving northward on each side of the
LaFayette Road. Soon after passing the Kelly House, Urchin's Brigade filed to the left, and after moving a brigade front faced north and charged through the woods upon scattered forces of the enemy to the fields next on the north, thence through these fields
along the front of Walthall's Brigade capturing most of his skirmishers, and, passing the front of McCook's Brigade, formed in the rear and to the left of McCook as a covering force for the withdrawal of the Army.
King's Brigade followed Turchin in a charge to the road north of the woods when it was turned to the left and placed on the high ground near Turchin to assist in covering the withdrawal. The Division subsequently followed the rear of the column to Rossville
by way of McFarland's Gap. The loss of the Division for two days was: Killed 93; Wounded, 685; Missing, 176; total 954.
[UL]No. 64 [UR] U
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 55.5945 W 85° 15.4228.
Parking is available on Battleline Road
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
This plaque is blue indicating it is for a Federal unit. This plaque were installed by the War Department in 1890. Plaques are listed in the NPS List of Classified Structures as a batch input, Structure Number HS-Batch-3.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on May 25, 2017. This page has been viewed 59 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 1 time(s) since then.
The page was last updated by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on August 12, 2017.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on May 25, 2017.
Photos: 1, 2, 3 were submitted on 05/25/2017 by Byron Hooks.