Brannan's Division - Thomas Corps.
Brig. Gen. John M. Brannan.
Sept. 20, 1863. 1 to 7:30 P.M.
1st Brigade - Col. Morton C. Hunter.
2nd Brigade - Col. William H. Hays.
3rd Brigade - Col. Ferdinand Van Derveer.
When the head of Hood's column pierced the Union line at the Brotherton house, and turned to the right, Brannan's line was taken in flank and rear. Van Derveer's brigade had been dispatched to Baird's assistance at the extreme left. The First and Second
brigades, after stout resistance toward their right and rear, were forced back in disorder and parts of them were rallied on this ridge, where were gathered other forces and fragments of regiments numbering in all about 2500. Connell, with the greater part
of the First brigade, retreated toward Chattanooga, Col. Morton C. Hunter remaining with less than one-third of the brigade on Snodgrass Hill.
Harker's brigade of Wood's division, which had held back Hood's division while Brannan was arranging his line, took position on the open ridge north and east of the Snodgrass house. Smith's battery I, 4th U.S., was at the house, Stanley's brigade of Negley's
division next to the right, then Brannan's troops with many fragments of regiments along the line. The Confederates were turning Brannan's right flank when Steedman's division arrived at 2 P.M., driving them away from Brannan's right and rear and prolonging
his line on the ridge. VanDerveer's brigade rejoined from the Kelly field at 2:30 and went immediately into battle on Brannan's line to the left of Steedman. The Confederate assaults were heavy and continuous from 1 o'clock till sunset. Fighting having ceased,
Brannan's line was withdrawn without molestation at 7:30 by way of McFarland's gap to Rossville. Total strength of the division in action Sept. 19th, 5,998. Losses of the division for both days: killed 325; wounded 1,652; missing 214; total, 2,191. Percentage
of loss 36.5.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 55.6692 W 85° 16.1474.
Parking is available on Vittetoe Rd
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
The plaques on the Chickamauga Battlefield were installed by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is blue indicating it is for a Federal unit.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on July 29, 2017. This page has been viewed 33 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on July 29, 2017.
Photos: 1, 2, 3 were submitted on 07/29/2017 by Byron Hooks.