No. 82 C
Left Wing - Army of Tennessee.
Lieutenant General James Longstreet.
September 20th, 1863.
|Stewart's Division - Major General Alexander P. Stewart.
|Johnson's Division - Brigadier General Bushrod R. Johnson.
|Hood's (Law's) Division - Brigadier General E. Mcl. Law.
|Kershaw's Division - Brigadier General Joseph B. Kershaw.
|Hindman's Division - Major General Thomas C. Hindman.
|Preston's Division - Brigadier General William Preston.
Stewart's Division attacked at 11 o'clock, and, after terrific fighting and an advance of one part of his line beyond the Chattanooga Road, was obliged to retire to the line from which he first advanced.
Johnson's Division, followed by Law and Kershaw, passed through the gap made by the withdrawal of Wood's Division from the Union line at Brotherton's. Johnson move through the Dyer fields and assaulted Snodgrass Hill near Vittetoe's. Law pushed north through
the woods on the east of the Dyer field and was repulsed near its northern boundary. Kershaw, following Law, passed over the shattered lines of the latter and assaulted Snodgrass Hill. Hindman, after pursuing Sheridan's and Davis' Divisions to the high ground
west of the Crawfish Springs Road and north of Widow Glenn's, joined Johnson's troops near Vittetoe's. Preston was moved up from the vicinity of Hall's Ford to the Brotherton house, and marching from the latter point at 4 p.m., assaulted Snodgrass Hill at
4:30 on the left of Kershaw's Division. At sundown Stewart moved over the works which had been held by Reynolds, captured a number of prisoners, and bivouacked near the Kelly house.
Kershaw's, Johnson's, and Hindman's Divisions continued to assault Snodgrass Hill unsuccessfully until sundown. At six o'clock Steedman's Division forming the right of the Union line on Snodgrass Hill was withdrawn under orders to the next ridge in rear.
General Longstreet's troops followed and at dusk occupied a part of Snodgrass Hill from which Steedman had withdrawn and the ravine to the north of it.
[UL] No. 82 [UR] C.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 55.0786 W 85° 15.6464.
Parking is available on Lafayette Road
N 34° 55.0747 W 85° 15.6433
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
The plaques on the Chickamauga Battlefield were installed by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is red indicating it is for a Confederate unit.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on July 25, 2017. This page has been viewed 84 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on July 25, 2017.
Photos: 1, 2, 3 were submitted on 07/25/2017 by Byron Hooks; 4 was submitted on 09/04/2018 by Byron Hooks.