Major General Simon Bolivar Buckner
September 20, 1863 - 2:30 p.m.
Stewart's Division - - Major General Alexander P. Stewart.
Preston's Division - - Brigadier General William Preston.
This Corps was separated during the battle of the 20th of September. Stewart attacked at 11 a.m. after furious fighting his right brigade was repulsed while the left two reached a point close to the Union lines west of the Poe house, from which position
they were repulsed. The Division, upon retiring, reformed on the ground it occupied before its advance. Preston's Division remained near Hill's Ford until about 2 p.m. when it was brought forward to the Brotherton House, near Stewart's Division. At 4 p.m.
the division was moved to the left to the assistance of the forces assaulting Snodgrass Hill.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 55.0708 W 85° 15.631.
Parking is available on LaFayette Road
N 34° 55.0747 W 85° 15.6433
Be careful when crossing Lafayette Road. There is a lot of through traffic.
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
The plaques on the Chickamauga Battlefield were installed by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is red indicating it is for a Confederate unit.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on July 25, 2017. This page has been viewed 106 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on July 25, 2017.
Photos: 1, 2 were submitted on 07/25/2017 by Byron Hooks.