Monument

Gist's Brigade Tablet

Sept. 20, 1863, noon

Battle of Chickamauga



Gist's Brigade Tablet, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2009/09/24 11:37:16
1. Gist's Brigade Tablet
 

Inscription:
Gist's Brigade
Walker's Division, Walker's Corps.
Colonel Peyton H. Colquitt.
Lieutenant Colonel Leroy Napier.
September 20, 1863,
Noon.

46th Georgia, - Major A.M. Speer.
8th Georgia Battalion, - Lieutenant Colonel Leroy Napier.
8th Georgia Battalion, - Major Z.L. Watters.
16th South Carolina, - Colonel James McCollough.
24th South Carolina, - Colonel Clement H. Stevens.
24th South Carolina, - Lieutenant Colonel Ellison Capers.

This brigade the 16th South Carolina being left at Rome Georgia came upon this ground about 10 a.m. It moved to the attack over the ground from which Helm's brigade had been repulsed and wheeled to the left till parallel to King's regular brigade at the left of General Baird's line and attacked it. Colonel Colquitt was killed and at the end of thirty minutes hard fighting in which all but two of the field officers were killed or wounded the brigade fell back fighting to the first position. About 5 o'clock the brigade moved forward to the Lafayette road and bivouacked. Strength in action 980 officers and men. Casualties killed 49 wounded 251 missing 36 total 336. Percentage of loss 34.28, all occurring in thirty minutes.




Gist's Brigade Tablet, click photo to enlarge.
By Dale K. Benington, on
2. Gist's Brigade Tablet
View looking south from the marker, towards the Peyton H. Colquit Mortuary Monument. 


Classification
Allegiance: Confederate
Type: Tablet (plaque)
Level: Brigade
Military Arm: Combined Arms




Location of the monument:
This monument is Not visible from the road. It is located at N 34° 56.0418  W 85° 15.2468. Map it

Parking is available on Alexander Bridge Road near  N 34° 56.0216  W 85° 15.2923 .


To reach this monument:
From the parking on Alexanders Bridge Road the tablet is near the Peyton H. Colquit Memorial Shell Monument



Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.



Distinctive geographic/terrain features at the markers location:
Wooded





NPS/SIRIS Data:
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure MT-487.



Comments about this monument:
The plaques on the Chickamauga Battlefield were installed by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is red indicating it is for a Confederate unit.



Credits:

This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on July 16, 2017. This page has been viewed 15 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then. BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on July 16, 2017. Photos: 1, 2 were submitted on 07/16/2017 by Byron Hooks.


Resources