Organized at Camp Morrow, Portsmouth, Ohio, August 27th, 1861, Joshua W. Sill, Colonel, Oscar F. Moore, Lieutenant Colonel, Joshua V. Robinson, Major.
The Regiment on September 19th, 1863, with its Brigade, was engaged about a mile a little South of East of this position, first with Wilson's Brigade, and then with Liddell's Division, taking some prisoners. About 12:00 M., after the withdrawal of those
troops, it was struck by Jackson's Brigade of Cheatham's Division, and was forced to retire and was not rallied until it reached the State Road, where being reformed, it advanced with the Brigade to the left of General Johnson's Command, near Reed's House,
and took part in the night fight.
September 20th, it occupied this position throughout the battle, repulsing all assaults upon its front. Near sundown, while attempting to execute the order to retire, while an attack of the enemy was in progress, a portion of the regiment was captured. Loss
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 55.9654 W 85° 15.3256.
Parking is available on Battleline Road
N 34° 55.9956 W 85° 15.3219
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the monument is, “This 8' x 4' x 10', 5-part monument has rock-faced base; lettered smooth-faced pedestal; rock-faced shaft with bronze relief panel of battle scene; round-topped cap incorporating bronze state seal; and large sculpted acorn finial.” A. O’Connor and C. H. Niehaus was the sculptors of this monument and the E. F. Carr Company of Quincy, Massachusetts was the Architect.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on July 14, 2017. This page has been viewed 7 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on July 16, 2017.
Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 were submitted on 07/14/2017 by Byron Hooks.