No. 48 C
Cleburne’s Division – Hill’s Corps.
Maj. Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne.
September 19, 1863, 6 P.M.
||Brig. Gen. S. A. M. Wood.
||Brig. Gen. Lucius E. Polk.
||Brig. Gen. James Deshler.
When Cheatham’s Division had been driven back at 3 P.M. by Johnson’s Division aided by Palmer’s, General Bragg ordered Cleburne, then beyond the Chickamauga and a mile and a half south of Lee and Gordon’s Mill, to the support of Cheatham’s Division and of
Walker’s and Forrest Corps, then assembled at Jay’s Mill. Cleburne arrived here via Thedford Ford at 6 P.M. forming his line to the right and rear of Cheatham and the left and rear of Walker. He passed over the latter and, assisted by a portion of Cheatham’s
division to his left, attacked Baird’s and Johnson’s Divisions as they were in the act of withdrawing as the Kelly Field. A desperate night fight at close quarter resulted, lasting about an hour, when the Union forces gradually withdrew to the vicinity of
Kelly’s Field, in accordance with orders they had received when attacked.
[UL] No. 48 [UR] C
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 55.3872 W 85° 13.9637.
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
The plaques on the Chickamauga Battlefield were installed by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is red indicating it is for a Confederate unit.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on July 01, 2017. This page has been viewed 94 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on July 01, 2017.
Photos: 1, 2 were submitted on 07/01/2017 by Byron Hooks.