Sept. 19th, 1863, this Regiment occupied this position from 12:30 to 3:00 P.M., when it was relieved and ordered to the Rossville Road to replenish ammunition. At 4:30 P.M. was ordered to reinforce VanCleve, in the field south of the Brotherton house. Was
engaged there and to the west of that position till 5:30 P.M., when the enemy having retired east of the road, it at 6 PM rejoined its brigade near Poe House.
Sept. 20th, occupied position in first line of battle, east of Kelly Field, on right of monument of Battery F, 1st O.L.A., from daylight till 2:00 P.M., when it was relieved and ordered into position about 200 yards west of Kelly House, facing South. At
3:00 P.M. was ordered to Snodgrass Hill, where it reinforced the 125th Ohio. Assisted in repulse of all subsequent assaults on that position. About 7:00 P.M. retired to Rossville.
No. Engaged 360: killed and mortally wounded 19: additionally wounded 87: captured or missing 9, of whom six were also wounded: total 115.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 55.136 W 85° 14.897.
Parking is available on Brotherton Road
N 34° 55.2299 W 85° 14.9087
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
Located in Brock's Field. This monument was designed by C. H. Niehaus in 1894. It is 8' x 8' x 16' smooth-finished monument has double step base supporting square plan shaft with molded base and capital. Granite relief of soldier at parade rest on front; raised letter unit information on base.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on June 18, 2017. This page has been viewed 8 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on June 18, 2017.
Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 were submitted on 06/18/2017 by Byron Hooks.