21st Battery, Indiana Light Artillery
Turchin's Brigade, Reynolds' Division, Thomas' Corps.
September 20, 1863.
Captain William W. Andrew, Commanding.
2d Lieutenant William E. Chess.
2d Lieutenant Abram P. Andrew.
The Battery came into position on this ground early in the morning, and after firing canister and case shot during the repeated assaults of the enemy, it changed position to the rear firing a few rounds to the southwest, and again back to this position,
till the order came to retire about 5 P.M. When the Brigade was ordered to charge north, on the west side of the Chattanooga and LaFayette road, the Battery became separated from it, and reported to General Thomas, by whom it was directed to join Edward King's
Brigade till Turchin's Brigade position was ascertained. Captain Andrew then reported to General Turchin, and retired with the Brigade to Rossville. Casualties of the battle: enlisted men wounded 12; horses wounded and abandoned 12; gun and limber abandoned
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 55.5267 W 85° 15.4354.
Parking is available on Battleline Road
N 34° 55.526 W 85° 15.4356
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
Other monuments to the 21st Indiana Artillery Company/Battery on the battlefield
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
This plaque is blue indicating it is for a Federal unit. This plaque was installed by the War Department in 1890.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/02/23 15:39:06
3. 21st Battery, Indiana Light Artillery Plaque
The monument to the 21st Battery, Indiana Light Artillery is visible behind the plaque.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on June 01, 2017. This page has been viewed 85 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 1 time(s) since then.
The page was last updated by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on June 13, 2017.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on June 01, 2017.
Photos: 1, 2, 3 were submitted on 06/01/2017 by Byron Hooks.