This Regiment, Colonel Philander P. Lane commanding, from 3:00 P.M. till 6:00 P.M. of the 19th of September 1863, was engaged about 1000 yards east of the Rossville Road, near the Brock Field; about 4:30 P.M. it participated in a charge made by its Brigade,
which resulted in a repulse of the enemy and the capture of some prisoners.
September 20th, occupied this position from 7:00 A.M. till 5:30 P.M. when ordered to retire to Rossville. It with the Brigade charged upon the enemy about 6:00 P.M. near McDonald's House, resulting in the capture of 250 prisoners.
Numbered engaged, Commissioned Officer's 20: Enlisted Men 413: Total 433. Loss, Killed 5: Wounded 36: Captured or Missing 22: Total 63.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 55.5989 W 85° 15.4206.
Parking is available on Battleline Rd.
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
This monument was built in 1894, C, H, Niehaus, the Architect was Vermont Granite Co., Barre, VT. The monument is 6'8" x 6'8" x 14', Rock-faced octagonal base supports octagonal pedestal with bronze state seal. Cylindrical shaft has raised letter inscription & is topped by rounded capstone carved with leaves & a large carved acorn
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on May 25, 2017. This page has been viewed 90 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on May 25, 2017.
Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 were submitted on 05/25/2017 by Byron Hooks.