Cleburne’s Division – Hill’s Corps.
Brig. Gen. James Deshler.
Col. Roger Q. Mills.
Sept. 20, 1863
|19th and 24th Arkansas
||Lieut. Col. A. S. Hutchinson.
|6th, 10th and 15th Texas
|Col. Roger Q. Mills,
Lieut. Col. T. Scott Anderson.
|15th and 18th Texas Infantry,
24th and 25th Texas Cavalry,
|Col. F. C. Wilkes ,
Lieut. Col. John T. Coit,
Maj. Wm. A. Taylor.
|Douglas’ (Texas) Battery
||Capt. James P. Douglas.
The brigade advanced to this position form a point to the left and rear, reaching it soon after 10 o’clock and it at once became severely engaged, fighting continuing with slight intermission until after 1 P.M. Soon after noon, Gen. Dressler rode to the
point of the heaviest fighting and was shot dead, pierced by a shell through the chest. Col. Roger Q. Mills then took command and held his line until the engagement ended.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 55.5725 W 85° 15.3527.
Parking is available on Battleline Road
N 34° 55.6166 W 85° 15.3921
To reach this monument:
Park on Battleline Road near the Texas monument (east side of the road). There is a path leading in a southeasterly direction near the Texas Monument. Follow this path.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
This plaque is red indicating it is for a Confederate unit. This plaque were installed by the War Department in 1890.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on May 24, 2017. This page has been viewed 18 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 1 time(s) since then.
The page was last updated on May 24, 2017.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on May 24, 2017.
Photos: 1, 2, 3 were submitted on 05/24/2017 by Byron Hooks.