Palmer's Division .......... Crittenden's Corps.
Major General John M. Palmer.
September 20, 1863, until 5:45 P.M.
1st Brigade - Brigadier General Charles Cruft.
2nd Brigade - Brigadier General William B. Hazen.
3rd Brigade - Colonel William Grose.
The Division was formed on this line before daylight, with Johnson's Division on its left and Reynolds' on its right. Hazen's and Cruft's Brigades were on the front in double lines, the former on the right. Grose's Brigade was posted in reserve. The line
was protected by hastily constructed barricades of logs and rails. At 9 o'clock Grose's Brigade, except the 23rd Kentucky which re-enforced Hazen's Brigade, proceeded to the left and took active part in repulsing the various attacks in that quarter, and suffered
severely. About 2 P.M. it rejoined its Division and later replaced Hazen's Brigade on the front line, when the latter was dispatched westward of the Lafayette Road to Wood's position on Snodgrass Hill.
At 10 A.M. Cleburne's Division attacked Palmer's and Johnson's fronts, and Stewart assaulted simultaneously further to the right upon Reynold's and Brannan's fronts. Both Confederate divisions were repulsed with heavy losses and thereafter did not again
attack until near sunset, when Reynolds and Palmer were in the act of withdrawing. Cruft's and Grose's Brigades crossed to the middle of the Kelly Field in good order, at which point they became subjected to a heavy artillery fire by which Grose's Brigade
was thrown into confusion but were not pursued into the forest. These brigades then proceeded at dusk to Rossville by way of McFarland's Gap. Hazen's Brigade withdrew at 7 P.M. with the forces from Snodgrass Hill.
The losses of the Division during the two days battle were: killed 134; wounded 1031; missing 203; total 1,368.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 55.6845 W 85° 15.3577.
Parking is available on Battleline Road
N 34° 55.6765 W 85° 15.3551
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
This plaque is blue indicating it is for a Federal unit. This plaque were installed by the War Department in 1890.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on May 22, 2017. This page has been viewed 202 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on May 22, 2017.
Photos: 1, 2, 3 were submitted on 05/22/2017 by Byron Hooks.