Monument

4th Georgia Cavalry Marker

Sept. 20, 1863 3:00 PM

Battle of Chickamauga



4th Georgia Cavalry Marker, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2009/08/05 13:50:04
1. 4th Georgia Cavalry Marker
 

Inscription:
C.S.A.
Georgia.
4th Cavalry.
Colonel Isaac W. Avery.
Crew's Brigade.
Wharton's Division.
3 P.M., September 20, 1863.



4th Georgia Cavalry Marker, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2009/08/05 13:50:04
2. 4th Georgia Cavalry Marker
 


Classification
Allegiance: Confederate
Type: Marker
Level: Regiment
Military Arm: Cavalry




Location of the monument:
This monument is visible from the road. It is located at N 34° 53.060  W 85° 16.0784. Map it

The monument is located outside of the park.

Parking is available on Lee-Gordon Mill Circle near  N 34° 53.0017  W 85° 16.1046 .
Residential street.



Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.

There are 15 monuments nearby.

Harker's Brigade Plaque (MT-591) (about 140 feet away) ; Twenty-First Army Corps Plaque (MT-470) (about 140 feet away) ; Wood's Division Tablet (MT-534) (about 254 feet away) ; Crittenden's Headquarters Shell Monument (MT-469) (about 259 feet away) ; 36th Illinois Infantry Regiment Marker (MT-683) (about 305 feet away) ; 3rd Georgia Cavalry Marker (MT-1281) (about 363 feet away) ; 88th Illinois Infantry Regiment Marker (MT-708) (about 404 feet away) ; Lytle's Brigade Plaque (MT-615) (about 411 feet away) ; 2nd Georgia Cavalry Marker (MT-1278) (about 525 feet away) ; Buell's Brigade tablet (MT-557) (about 594 feet away) ; Thomas’ Corps sign (MT-423W) (approx. 0.9 miles away) ; Hall's House (MT-1448) (approx. 1.2 miles away) ; 65th Georgia Infantry Marker (MT-1319) (approx. 1.3 miles away) ; Jeffress’ Virginia Battery Plaque (MT-1417) (approx. 1.3 miles away) ; Gracie’s Brigade Tablet (MT-1154) (approx. 1.3 miles away) . Map all of the Monuments on the battlefield.






NPS/SIRIS Data:
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure MT-1283.



Comments about this monument:
This is a standard Georgia marker built in 1898-1899. It is a rock-faced, peaked-top granite slab, 4'6" wide x 6' high x 1'8" thick, that carries an inscription, with a horseshoe carved in relief above it. Marks unit's position on September 20, 1863, at 3:00 p.m.


Lee and Gordon's Mill, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2009/08/05 13:53:56
3. Lee and Gordon's Mill
 


Credits:

This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on May 19, 2017. This page has been viewed 7 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then. BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on May 19, 2017. Photos: 1, 2, 3 were submitted on 05/19/2017 by Byron Hooks.


Resources