Monument

2nd Georgia Cavalry Marker

Sept. 20, 1863

Battle of Chickamauga



2nd Georgia Cavalry Marker, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2009/08/05 13:38:02
1. 2nd Georgia Cavalry Marker
 
Inscription:
C.S.A.
Georgia.
2d Cavalry.
Lieutenant Colonel F.M. Ison.
Crew's Brigade
Wharton's Division.
3 P.M. September 20, 1863.



2nd Georgia Cavalry Marker, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2009/08/05 13:38:02
2. 2nd Georgia Cavalry Marker
 


Classification
Allegiance: Confederate
Type: Marker
Level: Regiment
Military Arm: Cavalry




Location of the monument:
This monument is visible from the road. It is located at N 34° 52.9807  W 85° 16.1196. Map it

The monument is located outside of the park.

Parking is available on Lee-Gordon Mill Circle at  N 34° 53.0017   W 85° 16.1046
Residential street.



Other nearby monuments on the battlefield

There are 15 monuments nearby.

Buell's Brigade Plaque (Is only 91 feet away) ; 88th Illinois Infantry Regiment Marker (about 122 feet away) ; Lytle's Brigade Plaque (about 132 feet away) ; 3rd Georgia Cavalry Marker (about 180 feet away) ; 36th Illinois Infantry Regiment Marker (about 220 feet away) ; Crittenden's Headquarters Shell Monument (about 265 feet away) ; Wood's Division Plaque (about 278 feet away) ; 4th Georgia Cavalry Marker (about 525 feet away) ; Harker's Brigade Plaque (approx. 0.1 miles away) ; Twenty-First Army Corps Plaque (approx. 0.1 miles away) ; Thomas’ Corps sign (approx. 0.9 miles away) ; Hall's House (approx. 1.3 miles away) ; 65th Georgia Infantry Marker (approx. 1.4 miles away) ; Jeffress’ Virginia Battery Plaque (approx. 1.4 miles away) ; Gracie’s Brigade Plaque (approx. 1.4 miles away) . Map all of the Monuments on the battlefield.






NPS/SIRIS Data:
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure MT-1278.



Comments about this monument:
This is a standard Georgia marker built in 1898-1899. It is a rock-faced, peaked-top granite slab, 4'6" wide x 6' high x 1'8" thick, that carries an inscription, with a horseshoe carved in relief above it. Marks unit's position on September 20, 1863, at 3:00 p.m.


Lee and Gordon's Mill, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2009/08/05 13:53:56
3. Lee and Gordon's Mill
 


Credits:

This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on May 19, 2017. This page has been viewed 5 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then. BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on May 19, 2017. Photos: 1, 2, 3 were submitted on 05/19/2017 by Byron Hooks.


Resources