Monument

Cheatham’s Division – Polk’s Corps Plaque

Sept. 19, 1863

Battle of Chickamauga



Cheatham’s Division – Polk’s Corps Plaque, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/06/24 14:19:34
1. Cheatham’s Division – Polk’s Corps Plaque
 

Inscription:
No. 33
C
Cheatham’s Division – Polk’s Corps.

Maj. Gen. Benjamin F. Cheatham.
Sept. 19th, 1863, 10 A.M..

Jackson’s Brigade, - Brig. Gen. John K. Jackson.
Maney’s Brigade, - Brig. Gen. George Maney.
Smith’s Brigade, - Brig. Gen. Preston Smith.
Wright’s Brigade, - Brig. Gen. Marcus J. Wright.
Strahl’s Brigade, - Brig. Gen. Otho F. Strahl.


This division, as the rear of Bragg’s infantry column, halted north of Lee and Gordon’s Mill in the vicinity of Scott’s house, September 8, having one brigade at Crawfish Springs. On the 10th and the morning of the 11th it was at Dr. Anderson’s. On the 11th it marched to LaFayette, and returned to Rock Springs Church on the 12th for the projected attack on Crittenden by Polk’s and Walker’s Corps. which were not delivered. Cheatham’s division moved north of the Chickamauga on the afternoon of the 18th and crossed to the west side at Dalton’s Ford T 7 A.M of the 19th. It formed on this ground as the reserve to Bragg’s front line. At 11 A.M. it was ordered to proceed in haste to the right to the assistance of Walker’s Corps., then hotly engaged with the troops of General Thomas.




Cheatham’s Division – Polk’s Corps Plaque, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/06/24 14:19:22
2. Cheatham’s Division – Polk’s Corps Plaque
Note path in the background. 


Classification
Allegiance: Confederate
Type: Tablet (plaque)
Level: Division
Military Arm: Combined Arms



Distinguishing numbers/markings on the plaque:
[UL] No. 33 [UR] C


Location of the monument:
This monument is Not visible from the road. It is located at N 34° 53.8813  W 85° 14.8026. Map it

Parking is available on Viniard Road near  N 34° 54.0833  W 85° 15.1037 .
Gravel Parking area on the south side of the road.


To reach this monument:
Parking is available in a gravel lot on the south side of Viniard Road. From the parking area on Viniard Road follow the path south. The path will fork, take the left(west) path.



Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.

There are 15 monuments nearby.

Preston's Division Tablet (MT-1111) (approx. 0.3 miles away) ; Preston’s Division Tablet (MT-1112) (approx. 0.3 miles away) ; Kelly’s Brigade Plaque (MT-1177) (approx. 0.3 miles away) ; Gracie’s Brigade Tablet (MT-1154) (approx. 0.3 miles away) ; Jeffress’ Virginia Battery Plaque (MT-1417) (approx. 0.3 miles away) ; 65th Georgia Infantry Marker (MT-1319) (approx. 0.3 miles away) ; Trigg’s Brigade Plaque (MT-1219) (approx. 0.3 miles away) ; Hall's House (MT-1448) (approx. 0.5 miles away) ; 123rd Illinois Infantry Monument (MT-724) (approx. 0.5 miles away) ; 44th Indiana Infantry Regiment Marker (MT-812) (approx. 0.6 miles away) ; 86th Indiana Infantry Regiment Marker (MT-846) (approx. 0.6 miles away) ; 26th Ohio Infantry Regiment Monument (MT-980) (approx. 0.9 miles away) ; 15th Wisconsin Infantry Regiment Monument (MT-1079) (approx. 0.9 miles away) ; Hans C. Heg Memorial Shell Monument (MT-424) (approx. 1 miles away) ; Wright’s Brigade. Plaque (MT-1236) (approx. 1.1 miles away) . Map all of the Monuments on the battlefield.


Distinctive geographic/terrain features at the markers location:
Wooded


Other monuments to the Cheatham's Division on the battlefield





NPS/SIRIS Data:
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure MT-1090.



Comments about this monument:
This plaque is red indicating it is for a Confederate unit. The plaques were installed between 1890 and 1893 by the War Department.


Chickamauga Creek June 2011, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/06/24 13:58:53
3. Chickamauga Creek June 2011
 
Cheatham’s Division – Polk’s Corps Plaque, click photo to enlarge.
By BG Hooks, on 2011/06/24 14:19:28
4. Cheatham’s Division – Polk’s Corps Plaque
 


Credits:

This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on May 17, 2017. This page has been viewed 15 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then. BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on May 17, 2017. Photos: 1, 2, 3 were submitted on 05/17/2017 by Byron Hooks; 4 was submitted on 05/17/2017 by BG Hooks.


Resources