This monument is Not
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 54.4018 W 85° 16.3631.
Parking is available on Vittetoe-Chickamauga Road
N 34° 54.4252 W 85° 16.3442
To reach this monument:
Parking is available at Wilder’s Tower on Vittetoe-Chickamauga Road. From there walk south to the monument, the monument is east of the road near some tress. Addition parking is available in a second lot off of Glenn-Viniard Road.
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
Other monuments to the 123rd Illinois Infantry Regiment on the battlefield
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
This monument was built in 1899. The monument is a 2'6" x 1'2" x 2'6" high rectangular slab of dark Quincy granite. Rock-faced sides; polished & inscribed front. "Illinois" is in large raised letters on beveled top. Marks unit's position at noon on 9/20/1863.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on August 14, 2014. This page has been viewed 160 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 1 time(s) since then.
The page was last updated by bg Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on May 14, 2017.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on August 14, 2014.
Photos: 1, 2 were submitted on 08/14/2014 by Byron Hooks.