Liddell’s Division Walker’s Corps.
Brig. Gen. St. John R. Liddell.
Sept. 20, 1863, 5:30 P. M.
||– Col Daniel C. Govan.
||– Brig. Gen. Edward C. Walthall.
Shortly after sunset the Division moved forward to this position from the line it occupied after its repulsed at noon. Upon entering the field west of the road it was at first subjected to a front and enfilading fire and soon after when it had advanced from
120 to 130 yards west of the road with its skirmishers 300 yards in front, the line of Turchin’s Brigade of Reynolds Division swept out of the woods to the south and charged along the front of Liddell’s Division capturing a part of its skirmishers and a field
officer and forcing the line to withdraw a considerable distance east of the road. After Reynolds troops had passed Liddell’s Division returned and bivouacked north of this position. Turchin’s column was the advanced of the Union withdrawal. Total force in
action during the battle 3175 killed 162 wounded 963 missing 277 total 1402. Percentage of loss 44.18.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 56.4372 W 85° 15.4823.
Parking is available on Lafayette Road
N 34° 56.4026 W 85° 15.5878
To reach this monument:
Parking is available at the visitor’s center. Take care when crossing Lafayette Road.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
This plaque is red indication this is for a Confederate Unit.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on March 02, 2017. This page has been viewed 18 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 1 time(s) since then.
The page was last updated by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on March 02, 2017.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on March 02, 2017.
Photos: 1 was submitted on 03/02/2017 by Byron Hooks.