Brannan’s Division – Thomas’ Corps.
Brig. Gen. John M. Connell.
Sept. 19, 1863, 7:30 A. M.
||– Col. M. Connall.
||– Col. John T. Croxton.
||– Col. Ferdinand Van Derveer.
This division left Gower’s Ford on the upper Chickamauga and 5 P.M. of Sept. 18th, and reached the LaFayette road in the vicinity of Kelly’s soon after daylight. Brannan was ordered soon after sunrise to advance on the roads leading towards Reed’s bridge and
attempt the capture of a small bridge which was reported as having crossed to the west side of the Chickamauga the night before. Croxton’s brigade was turned from the LaFayette road towards Reed’s bridge at the Kelly field, and Van Derveer’s brigade, composing
the left of Brannan’s line, was turned eastward at this point; Connell’s brigade followed than DeVeer’s. Croxton came upon a strong force of the enemy about a mile east of the LaFayette Road, which proved to be a part of Pegram’s division of Forrest’s Calvary
fighting dismounted. Van Derveer’s brigade, which had advanced a mile on the Ringgold road was immediately turned toward Croxton’s left. Connell’s brigade reinforced both portions of the line, and the engagement, which was it closed quarters, at once became
furious on both sides, near Jay’s Mill.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 56.4104 W 85° 15.5237.
Parking is available on Lafayette Road
N 34° 56.4026 W 85° 15.5878
To reach this monument:
Parking is available at the visitors center. Take care when crossing Lafayette Road.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
This plaque is blue indication this is for a Federal Unit.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on March 01, 2017. This page has been viewed 35 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on March 01, 2017.
Photos: 1 was submitted on 03/01/2017 by Byron Hooks.