Entering a little clearing, we discovered the yellow hospital flags fluttering from the gables of every house in the hamlet of Leetown, and the surgeons busy with the sad, yet humane task that was theirs to perform.
Lyman G. Bennett, private, 36th Illinois Infantry Regiment
The quarter-mile-long trail you see ahead leads to the site of Leetown, Arkansas. Today the woods and meadows of the Pea Ridge battlefield appear to be an uninhabited wilderness. During the Civil War, this whole area was a patchwork quilt of working farms
and woodlots. Leetown was made up of a dozen or so log-and-frame homes and outbuildings.
As intense fighting ranged nearby in Oberson's cornfield and Morgan's Woods, stretcher bearers carried the wounded of both armies to Leetown, the closest place offering shelter from the winter weather. All the space in the houses was taken over by injured
and dying soldiers. Yellow flags guided the walking wounded to medical attention.
This 1862 illustration from Harper's Weekly magazine shows Union surgeons working in a combat aid station very similar to those set up in the houses here. No Civil War-era drawing that shows Leetown is known to exist. Battlefield artists did not follow the
armies that fought in Arkansas in 1862.
Today no structure remains in the clearing where Leetown once was.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 36° 26.471 W 94° 3.044.
Parking is available on Military Park Road
N 36° 26.478 W 95° 3.018
To reach this monument:
Located in tour stop number 3 on Military Park Road.
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Pea Ridge Battlefield.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on November 29, 2016. This page has been viewed 204 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on November 29, 2016.
Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 were submitted on 11/29/2016 by Byron Hooks.