It was still below freezing at 10:30 a.m. March 7, 1862, when an alarmed messenger thundered into Union headquarters. The news he carried was startling: Confederates were moving down the Telegraph Road a mile north of Elkhorn Tavern. All of General Curtis's
careful troop positioning for a battle at Little Sugar Creek - to the south - was now useless.
As gunfire from the far side of Elkhorn Mountain and the fields north of Leetown grew louder, Curtis had to move his remaining troops to prepare for the Confederate attack. Blue-coated regiments reversed direction and rushed past their vulnerable supply
wagons to confront the enemy.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 36° 26.4625 W 94° 1.937.
Parking is available on Military park Rd
To reach this monument:
Located in tour stop number 2 on Military Park Road.
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Pea Ridge Battlefield.
There are 15 monuments nearby.
City of Soldiers
(a few steps from this marker) ; Getting Ready To Fight
(Is only 70 feet away) ; Curtis' Headquarters
(about 101 feet away) ; U.S. Army Headquarters 1862
(about 255 feet away) ; That Beautiful Charge
(approx. 0.6 miles away) ; “Dat De Shpot, Sergent!”
(approx. 0.6 miles away) ; A Perfect Storm of Shot and Shell
(approx. 0.8 miles away) ; Confederate Sunset
(approx. 0.8 miles away) ; A Village Full of Wounded Men
(approx. 1 miles away) ; Leetown
(approx. 1 miles away) ; Fiery Finale on Ruddick's Field
(approx. 1 miles away) ; Night Moves
(approx. 1 miles away) ; It was the Grandest Thing I Ever Saw...
(approx. 1 miles away) ; Hard Fighting Near Leetown
(approx. 1.1 miles away) ; Slaughter in the Rocks
(approx. 1.1 miles away) ; Map all of the Monuments on the battlefield.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on November 10, 2016. This page has been viewed 257 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 2 time(s) since then.
The page was last updated by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on November 23, 2016.
Bg Hooks was the editor who published this page on November 10, 2016.
Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 were submitted on 11/10/2016 by Byron Hooks.