Stewart's Division - Breckinridge's Corps.
Col. Randall Lee Gibson.
Nov. 25, 1863.
|13th and 20th Louisiana ||-|| Col. Leon von Zinken.|
|16th and 25th Louisiana ||-|| Col. Daniel Gober.|
|19th Louisiana ||-|| Col. Wesley P. Winans.|
|4th Louisiana Battalion ||-|| Lieut. Col. John McEnery.|
|14th La. Batln. Sharpshooters ||-|| Maj. John E. Austin.|
This brigade on Nov. 24th occupied the left of Stewart's Division in the works extending across the plain from the foot of Missionary Ridge to Chattanooga Creek. Its right rested on the Rossville Road at the Watkins' House and reached Chattanooga Creek. Upon the general withdrawal of the line from the plain to the crest of Missionary Ridge during the night of Nov. 24th, this brigade was posted first north of Bragg's Headquarters to the left of Patton Anderson's Division, but was subsequently moved to the left of Bragg's Headquarters, and became the right of Stewart's Division. In order to cover the space assigned, the brigade was formed in one rank, the line much attenuated. In the general assault the afternoon of the 25th its front was attacked by Harker's and Sherman's Brigades of Sheridan's Division, and its rear by Osterhaus' Division. It retreated towards Mission Mills.
Casualties: Killed 28; Wounded 96; Missing 233.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 35° 1.0544 W 85° 15.9246.
Parking is available on S Crest Road
N 35° 1.0502 W 85° 15.9291
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Missionary Ridge Battlefield.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
This plaque is red indicating a confederate unit.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on September 24, 2015. This page has been viewed 307 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on September 24, 2015.
Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4 were submitted on 09/24/2015 by Byron Hooks.