This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 54.4418 W 85° 16.3294.
Parking is available on Vittetoe-Chickamauga Road
N 34° 54.4252 W 85° 16.3442
To reach this monument:
Parking is available at Wilder’s Tower on Vittetoe-Chickamauga Road. The plaque is south of the tower. Addition parking is available in a second lot off of Glenn-Viniard Road.
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
Other monuments to the 18th Indiana Artillery Company/Battery on the battlefield
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
This monument was built in 1898. It is a standard Indiana marker consists of a 4' x 4' x 4'8" high rock-faced oolitic stone block with a peaked top and a 12" x 18" bronze plaque affixed to its front. Marks battery's position near Widow Glenn house site.
From a nearby marker:
Col. Wilder´s lightning brigade resisted the Confederate tide.
When the Confederates broke the Union line at the Brotherton Farm on September 20, Union units here on the southern part of the battlefield were swept away like flakes of foam on a River. The Federals were simply overwhelmed and were forced to flee. .
The union mounted infantry brigade of Col. John T. Wilder witness to that disaster. Armed with deadly seven shots Spencer repeating rifles Wilder´s men counterattacked on foot, driving Manigault´s Confederate brigade backward toward the Lafayette Road. .
Soon Wilder realized his brigade was isolated, and withdrew to this hill which he defended against repeated Confederate assaults. Wilder then fell back to the northwest to guard the retreating columns and wagon trains of the routed Union right. .
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on August 16, 2014. This page has been viewed 36 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on August 16, 2014.
Photos: 1, 2, 3 were submitted on 08/16/2014 by Byron Hooks.