Monument

2nd Michigan Cavalry Regiment Monument

Battle of Chickamauga



2nd Michigan Cavalry Regiment Monument, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/03/02 15:55:48
1. 2nd Michigan Cavalry Regiment Monument
 

Inscription:
MICHIGAN
TO HER
SECOND REGIMENT OF CAVALRY
COLONEL ARCHIBALD P. CAMPBELL
COMMANDED BY
MAJOR LEONIDAS S. SCRANTON
CAMPBELL'S BRIGADE,
McCOOK'S DIVISION,
CAVALRY CORPS.

Inscription on the rear of the monument:
The regiment guarded the fords of Chickamauga River from Glass' Mill
to the right, on the 19th and 20th of September, 1863,
skirmishing during the time, about noon of the 20th retired in
the direction of Crawfish Springs. From there guarded the trains to Chattanooga arriving at 3 a.m. of the 21st.


2nd Michigan Cavalry Regiment Monument, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/03/02 15:55:41
2. 2nd Michigan Cavalry Regiment Monument
 


Classification
Allegiance: Union
Type: Monument
Level: Regiment
Military Arm: Cavalry




Location of the monument:
This monument is visible from the road. It is located at N 34° 54.4128  W 85° 16.3711. Map it

Parking is available on Vittetoe-Chickamauga Road near  N 34° 54.4252  W 85° 16.3442 .


To reach this monument:
Parking is available at Wilder’s Tower on Vittetoe-Chickamauga Road. From there walk south to the monument. Addition parking is available in a second lot off of Glenn-Viniard Road.



Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.







NPS/SIRIS Data:
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure MT-882.


Condition of the monument:
The condition of the monument was first reported on 3/2/2011.

Missing from monument are 2 bronze horseshoes, 2 bronze state seals, 2 bronze hilts, and parts of the saber at top of monument.
One or more plaques are missing.


Comments about this monument:
This monument is located on the Chickamauga Battlefield at map site #236 near the Wilder Brigade Monument. The Michigan Commission desired to place it at Glass' Mill, however that was outside the Park.

The monument was moved 91 feet in 1966 to make way for a projected road re-routing that never actually happened. In 2001, it was returned to its original location.

This monument was built in 1895. The monument consists of 5 tiers. Other original features included two horseshoes on the front, a large bronze state shield on the north side, and an unidentified bronze piece on the south side.




2nd Michigan Cavalry Regiment Monument, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/03/02 15:55:48
3. 2nd Michigan Cavalry Regiment Monument
 
2nd Michigan Cavalry Regiment Monument, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/03/02 15:55:30
4. 2nd Michigan Cavalry Regiment Monument
 
2nd Michigan Cavalry Regiment Monument, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/03/02 15:55:23
5. 2nd Michigan Cavalry Regiment Monument
 


Credits:

This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on August 14, 2014. This page has been viewed 70 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 1 time(s) since then. The page was last updated by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on February 11, 2015. BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on August 14, 2014. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 were submitted on 08/14/2014 by Byron Hooks.


Resources