8th Battery, Wisconsin Light Artillery.
1 Napoleons, 4 3” Rifles.
Heg’s Brigade, Davis’ Division, McCook’s Corps.
September 19, 1863.
| ||1st Lieut. John D. McLean, Commanding. |
| ||1st Lieut. Obadiah German. |
| ||2d Lieut. Henry L. Wheeler. |
| ||2d Lieut. Thomas B. McNair. |
The battery with Heg’s and Carlin’s Brigades of Davis’ Division arrived at Widow Glenn’s soon after noon and reported to Gen. Rosecrans. The division was ordered to the front and soon became hotly engaged with the enemy in the timber northeast of the Viniard’s. The battery came into position on this ground, by order of Gen. Davis, in remained during the afternoon without becoming seriously engaged, and encamped on this part of the field during the night. The battery was not actively engaged on the 20th and retired to McFarland’s Gap soon after noon, and to Rossville at night. No casualties.
This monument is Not
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 54.4047 W 85° 16.3321.
Parking is available on Vittetoe-Chickamauga Road
N 34° 54.4252 W 85° 16.3442
To reach this monument:
Parking is available at Wilder’s Tower on Vittetoe-Chickamauga Road. From there walk north to the monument. Addition parking is available in a second lot off of Glenn-Viniard Road.
Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.
Other monuments to the 8th Wisconsin Artillery Company/Battery on the battlefield
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
This plaque is blue indicating it is for a Federal unit.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on August 15, 2014. This page has been viewed 83 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on August 15, 2014.
Photos: 1, 2, 3 were submitted on 08/15/2014 by Byron Hooks.