Monument

9th Pennsylvania Cavalry Regiment Monument

Battle of Chickamauga



9th Pennsylvania Cavalry Regiment Monument, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/03/02 15:54:05
1. 9th Pennsylvania Cavalry Regiment Monument
 

Inscription:
Pennsylvania’s
9th “Lochiel” Veteran Cavalry
1st Brigade 1st Cavalry Division
Army of the Cumberland

Inscription on the rear of the monument:
The Ninth Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteer Cavalry
Lieutenant Colonel Roswell M. Russell, Commanding
Held the upper fords of the Chickamauga on the 19th and 20th of September 1863.
On the right of the line of battle in the vicinity of crawfish Springs until 3 o’clock P.M. of
the 20th then it was ordered held on the old Chattanooga Road to find and open communications with
General Sheridan. The regiment left the battlefield about sunset, September 20th
its rear guard repulse an attack of Calvary while covering the force falling back on that line.
It entered Chattanooga on the morning of the 22nd, taking a position in advance
of the entrenchments then being thrown up.
It forded the Tennessee River about 5 O’clock P.M.
under fire of the enemy's batteries on Missionary Ridge.
and went into camp opposite the city.


9th Pennsylvania Cavalry Regiment Monument, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/03/02 15:54:02
2. 9th Pennsylvania Cavalry Regiment Monument
 


Classification
Allegiance: Union
Type: Monument
Level: Regiment
Military Arm: Cavalry




Location of the monument:
This monument is visible from the road. It is located at N 34° 54.391  W 85° 16.3622. Map it

Parking is available on Vittetoe-Chickamauga Road near  N 34° 54.4252  W 85° 16.3442 .


To reach this monument:
Parking is available at Wilder’s Tower on Vittetoe-Chickamauga Road. From there walk south to the monument. Addition parking is available in a second lot off of Glenn-Viniard Road.



Other nearby monuments on the Battle of Chickamauga Battlefield.







NPS/SIRIS Data:
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure MT-1045.
This monument is recorded in the Smithsonian Institution’s catalog of outdoor sculptures as control number IAS GA000688.



Comments about this monument:
This monument was built in 1894. 7' x 4' x 12' monument features 2-piece rock-faced base and smooth-faced vertical shaft with unit designation in pedestal and bronze relief panel of cavalryman tending to horse; peaked top.

This monument has been moved twice. First in 1966, in advance of a highway project that never happened, the monument was moved 135 feet. Then in 2002, the monument was returned to its original location. It was preserved 2012.


9th Pennsylvania Cavalry Regiment Monument, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/03/02 15:53:46
3. 9th Pennsylvania Cavalry Regiment Monument
 
9th Pennsylvania Cavalry Regiment Monument, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/03/02 15:53:41
4. 9th Pennsylvania Cavalry Regiment Monument
 
9th Pennsylvania Cavalry Regiment Monument, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/03/02 15:54:44
5. 9th Pennsylvania Cavalry Regiment Monument
 
9th Pennsylvania Cavalry Regiment Monument, click photo to enlarge.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/03/02 15:54:30
6. 9th Pennsylvania Cavalry Regiment Monument
 


Credits:

This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on August 14, 2014. This page has been viewed 118 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then. BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on August 14, 2014. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 were submitted on 08/14/2014 by Byron Hooks.


Resources