Where Hood Watched
the Battle of Atlanta
In 1856 James E. Williams (Mayor of Atlanta 1866-1868), built a residence atop this high ground which later became a part of Oakland Cemetery. From the second story of the house, Gen. John B. Hood, in command of Confederate forces, & members of his staff, watched
that part of the Battle of Atlanta, July 22, 1864, where Brown’s & Clayton’s divs., Cheathams’s A.C. (CS) moved eastward astride the Ga. R.R. to the assault on the Federal 15th A.C. line also astride the R.R. – at DeGress Ave., 1 ¼ mi. distant. A notable landmark
of this area – the Rolling Mill – stood on the site of the cotton mill
||Georgia Historical Commission
This monument is Not
visible from the road. It is located at
N 33° 44.971 W 84° 22.3818.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on September 23, 2020. This page has been viewed 31 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on September 23, 2020.
Photos: 1 was submitted on 09/23/2020 by Byron Hooks.