Sweeny's Div. Encamped
July 22, 1864. Sweeny´s Div., Dodge´s 16th A.C. (Union) was held in reserve some 24 hrs. in a line that crossed the S.W. area of Candler Park.
These troops, of McPherson´s Army of the Tenn., had moved from Decatur toward Atlanta the day before, and being crowded out of line, were halted here in the rear of the 15th A.C. (astride the Ga. R.R. at Whiteford Ave.). The rt. of Sweeny´s line connected with
the left of the 23d A.C. (Moreland and Ponce de Leon).
July 22. Sweeny´s troops were shifted S. of the Ga. R.R. to prolong McPherson´s left in E. Atlanta, a move that blocked Hardee´s (Confederate) rear attack on Blair´s 17th Corps.
||Georgia Historical Commission
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 33° 45.893 W 84° 20.2806.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on September 23, 2020. This page has been viewed 263 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on September 23, 2020.
Photos: 1 was submitted on 09/23/2020 by Byron Hooks.