Hood's Division, - Longstreet's Corps.
Brigadier General Jerome B. Robertson.
September 18, 1863, 3:30 p.m.
||Colonel Van H. Manning.
||Captain R. J. Harding.
Captain D. K. Rice.
||Lieutenant Colonel John P. Bane.
Captain R. H. Bassett.
||Major J. C. Rogers.
Captain J. S. Cleveland.
While Robertson's Brigade, which was the left of Hood's Division, was moving northwardly through the low ground northeast of this position, it wheeled to the left to meet the advance of Barnes' and Carlin's Brigades over this ground. The first attack was successful,
and these two brigades were driven back, but immediately rallied and in turn forced Robertson over the crest, which was again carried by Robertson. The arrival of Wood's and Sheridan's Union troops from Lee and Gordon's Mill caused the Confederates to retire
into the forest east of Viniard's at sunset.
This monument is
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 54.223 W 85° 15.581.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
Approximately 700 metal position and descriptive markers with raised lettering were installed on the Chickamauga Battlefield by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is red indicating it is for a Confederate unit. Plaques are listed in the NPS List of Classified Structures as a batch input, Structure Number HS-Batch-3.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on February 08, 2019. This page has been viewed 380 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on February 09, 2019.
Photos: 1, 2, 3 were submitted on 02/09/2019 by Byron Hooks.