Dent's Alabama Battery.
Deas’ Brigade, Hindman's Division, Polk’s Corps.
Sept. 20, 1863, noon
|Capt. S. H. Dent, Commanding.
|1st Lieut. W. T. Stockton.
|2nd Lieut. D. L. Southwick.
|2nd Lieut. G. B. Zeigler.
From its position South East of Brotherton’s, this battery soon after 11 A.M. moved with its brigade in the general advance of the left wing, firing a few shots over the heads of the Confederate infantry until the enemy and the pursuing infantry had disappeared
from its front. The captain then hearing vigorous firing in a northwesterly direction, in the exercise of his discretion, moved his battery to this position from which he fired through the mouth of the gap near the Vittetoe house at passing wagon trains and
artillery of the enemy there to be seen moving rapidly towards Chattanooga, throwing them into confusion, blocking the road, and so being largely instrumental in securing the capture of many wagons, cassons, etc.
By Byron Hooks, on 2011/05/19 10:57:27
2. Dent's Alabama Battery Tablet
View, looking south, of the marker. There are two cannons flanking this marker
This monument is Not
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 55.142 W 85° 16.392.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
The plaques on the Chickamauga Battlefield were installed by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is red indicating it is for a Confederate unit. Plaques are listed in the NPS List of Classified Structures as a batch input, Structure Number HS-Batch-3.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on October 09, 2018. This page has been viewed 13 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on October 09, 2018.
Photos: 1, 2, 3 were submitted on 10/09/2018 by Byron Hooks.