Brig. Gen. Bushrod R. Johnson
Sept. 20th, 1863, 2 P.M.
||Col. John S. Fulton
||Col. Cyrus A. Sugg
|McNair’s Brigade Brig.
||Gen. Evander McNair
Col. David Coleman
At 2 P.M. this division, being in position at the foot of Snodgrass Hill with Fulton’s brigade on the left, and Sugg’s brigade on the right, attacked the ridge. After gaining the crest the left of Fulton’s brigade crossed the ridge and came into the rear of
Brannan’s right. At that juncture Granger’s troop, being Whitaker’s and Mitchell’s brigade of Steedman’s division, arrived and forced the Confederate line back over the ridge to their guns near Vittetoe’s. At 3 P.M. Deas’ and Manigault’s brigades of Hindman’s
division formed on the left of Johnson’s division, with McNair’s brigade in reserve and took part in the second assault on Snodgrass Hill. This attack lasted till near sundown. At 6 P.M. Steedman’s troops withdrew to the next ridge in the rear, and the right
of the Union position on this hill was occupied by Johnson’s division at dusk, his troops following the enemy to the bottom of the ravine north of the ridge, whence, later, they withdrew towards the crest and bivouacked.
This monument is Not
visible from the road. It is located at
N 34° 55.395 W 85° 16.412.
This monument is recorded in the National Park Service database as structure
The plaques on the Chickamauga Battlefield were installed by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is red indicating it is for a Confederate unit. Plaques are listed in the NPS List of Classified Structures as a batch input, Structure Number HS-Batch-3.
This page originally submitted by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, GA, on September 28, 2018. This page has been viewed 20 time(s) since then. This page has been updated 0 time(s) since then.
BG Hooks was the editor who published this page on September 28, 2018.
Photos: 1, 2, 3 were submitted on 09/28/2018 by Byron Hooks.